Anyone with an email account has received at least one email (probably thousands today) that they would rather not have seen. This is true, regardless of the email service you use, it is a constant in all email service providers out there. Fortunately, email services devote many resources to finding ways to improve the quality of life for their users. To help its users fight spam, Yahoo! Mail has created and incorporated an address blocking feature. The address blocking feature of Yahoo! Mail can be used to block each and every email sent to a user’s account from a specific email address – any email sent to a user’s account from an address that you have blocked is automatically deleted before cross the threshold of your inbox. Yahoo! Mail can block each and every incoming email from up to 500 different email addresses.
Blocking addresses is not a solution for spam
The most common purpose address blocking features in email service providers are used to get rid of spam. Unfortunately, blocking the email addresses you receive spam from will not even scratch the surface of getting rid of spam. Senders of spam and junk mail use the principle of “pitch and ditch”, almost never using the same email address or domain twice. Since they will use new addresses to send you junk and spam each time, it doesn’t make sense to block the email addresses that you receive spam from. However, the address blocking feature of Yahoo! Mail is a godsend when it comes to emails from people you would rather not see in your inbox.
Blocking emails from specific senders in Yahoo! Mail
Unfortunately, Yahoo! Mail Mobile and other Yahoo! Mail are not equipped with the ability to block each and every email from specific senders. If you use Yahoo! Mail and you want to block emails from a specific email address, you will need to access the desktop version of Yahoo! Mail through an Internet browser of your choice on a computer. You can block emails from specific senders on both Yahoo! Mail Basic as in the standard desktop version of Yahoo! Mail.
Blocking emails from specific senders on Yahoo! Mail
If you are using standard Yahoo! Mail:
- Hover over the help icon (represented by a gear and located in the upper right corner of your screen) or click on it.
- Click Settings in the resulting context menu.
- In the left pane, click Blocked addresses.
- Enter the email address from which you no longer want to see any email in the Add an address field.
- Click Block.
- Click Save.
If you use Yahoo! Mail Basic:
- Make sure you have selected the Options option in the drop-down menu on the classic Yahoo! Mail that is next to the name of your account and that is in the upper part of your screen.
- Click Go.
- In the Advanced options section, open the Blocked addresses category.
- In the Add an address field, enter the email address that you want to add to the list of blocked email addresses for your email account.
- Click +.
The exact set of steps you need to take to populate your list of blocked addresses on Yahoo!